156 UK women suspected to have been killed by men in 2014.
156 women in 365 days is one woman dead every 2.3 days.
- 8 Jan 2014: Elsie Mowbray, 87, died though head injuries in hospital following a burglary at her home on New Year’s Day. Peter Harris, 33, has been found guilty of manslaughter.
- 8 Jan 2014: Sameena Zaman, 34, was found dead. Mohammed Zaman, 44 has been charged.
- 8 Jan 2014: Sarah O’Neill, 22, died from head injuries sustained in an attack from Sergio Saavedra-Navarrete, her ex- boyfriend, 27.
- 14 Jan 2014: Jacqueline Oakes,51, died as a result of multiple blunt force injuries inflicted by Marcus Musgrove, 39.
- 16 Jan 2014: Caroline Finegan, 30 died from bleeding of the brain, she also suffered a broken nose and eye socket. The thump from her fiancé, Ryan Ingham, 26, swivelled her head so violently that it tore blood vessels in her neck. He has been found guilty of her murder.
- 20 January 2014: Monica O’Neill, 73, suffered 65 injuries, including 14 broken ribs, a blunt blow to the head and a broken tooth. Her husband Francis O’Neill was detained under the Mental Health Act.
- 24 Jan 2014: Elizabeth Thomas was stabbed to death and dismembered by her boyfriend, Steven Miles, 16. He has been found guilty of her murder.
- 28 Jan 2014: Milena Yuliyanov, 27, was stabbed. Her husband Jamshaid Khan, 28 has been charged with her murder.
- 30 Jan 2014: Karen Wild, was found dead through stabbing. A 22-year-old man, said to be her son, Lian Wild, has been charged with her murder.
- 31 Jan 2014: Maria Duque-Tunjano, 48, was found dead. She had been killed some days earlier by blunt trauma to the head. Robert Fraser, 39 has been charged
- 11 Feb 2014: Clara Patterson, 82, and her son Ray, 61, were found dead. Their grandson/son was found guilty of manslaughter and detained indefinitely.
- 12 Feb 2014: Fatima Bibiwas found dead in London. She was killed by her 15 year old son.
- 17 Feb 2014: Karolina Nowikiewicz, 25, was found dead as a result of a neck injury. Michael Wenham, 35, has been charged with murder.
- 18 Feb 2014: Hollie Gazzard, 20, was stabbed to death. Her ex-boyfriend Asher Maslin was found guilty of her murder.
- 20 Feb 2014: Leanne Meecham, 26, died of a brain injury a week after being stabbed. Her ex-partner Simon Meecham, who was also her step-father has been found guilty of her murder.
- 23 Feb 2014: Christine Lee, 66, was shot dead by her ex-partner Michael Lowe. He also murdered her daughter.
- 23 Feb 2104: Lucy Lee, 40, was shot dead along with her mother by her mother’s ex-partner , John Lowe.
- 23 Feb 2014: Donna Graham, 51, was smothered by her husband Keith Graham who also killed himself.
- 23 Feb 2014: Georgina Drinkwater, 30, died from head injuries after falling from a block of flats. A man was arrested and has been bailed. Police continue to seek information.
- 24 Feb 2014: Mairead McCallion, 24, died after sustaining head injuries the day before.
- 26 Feb 2014: Sheila Wild, 49, was strangled by her husband Raymond Wild.
- 26 Feb 2014: Angela Humphrey, 48, died of head and neck injuries after being punched, kicked, throttled and stamped on by her husband Alan Humphrey.
- 3 Mar 2014: Patricia Anne Durrant, 65, was found dead at home. James Blair Hamilton who also lived there has been charged with her murder.
- 4 Mar 2014: Sara Al Shourefi, 28, was found dead. Thahi Harroba Manaa has been charged with her murder.
- 6 March: Becky Ayres, 24 was killed by multiple stab wounds inflicted by her boyfriend Liam King, 25.
- 6 Mar 2014: 29-year-old Amandeep Kaur Hothi’s throat was slit by her boyfriend Gurminder Singh, 29.
- 15 March 2014: Kirsty Wright, 21, was stabbed 60 times by her boyfriend Akeel Hussain.
- 16 March 2014: Rivka Holden, 55, was so badly mutilated that the cause of her death could not be definitively ascertained. She had been strangled, her throat had been slit and she had been dismembered and sexually assaulted by Nicolae Patraucean, 20.
- 17 March 2014: Cherylee Shennan, 40, was stabbed to death by her boyfriend Paul O’Hara, 43. O’Hara had previously been released early from prison for killing a former partner.
- 19 March 2014: Naudel Turner, 42, was stabbed to death. Dariusz Miakienko, 46, has been charged with her murder.
- 21 March 2014: Shereka Marsh, 15, was shot in the neck by her 15-year-old boyfriend who cannot be named.
- 22 March 2014: Hazel North,19, was found dead after having been missing for several weeks. She died of severe blunt force trauma to head, neck and body. Her injuries included multiple fractures to the jaw and eye socket, massive bruising, and 14 fractures to her ribs. Pathologists estimated that it would have taken her 16-18 hours to die. She was killed by her boyfriend John Davis.
- 23 March 2014: Tracy Walters, 48, died in hospital two days after a crash on the M1 near Leicester. Her husband Ian Walters, has been charged with murder through crashing deliberately.
- 28 March 2014, Shirley Mercer, 43, was killed by multiple stab wounds inflicted by her partner Brian Hull, 52..
- 29 March 2014: Kanwal Azam, 35, was stabbed to death by her estranged husband Suhail Azam.
- 30 March 2014: Mashael Albasman, 25, was stabbed in the neck 13 times by her father Faleh Ghazi Albasman, 59.
- 31 March 2014: Val Forde, 45, and her 23-month old daughter Jazra were found dead. Her partner Roland McKoy has been arrested.
- March 2014: Ann Robinson, 58, died of injuries caused by her partner Christopher Keeling, 58, in an assault which had taken place on 28 December 2000. She had needed constant care in the intervening 14 years.
- 2 April 2014: Doreen Walker, 75, was stabbed multiple times by Liam Naylor, 23.
- 5 April 2014: Senga Closs, 47, was found dead at home. Steven McCall, 43, has been charged with her murder.
- 5 April 2014: Kayleigh-Anne Palmer, 16, died in hospital after being strangled by her boyfriend, Aston Robinson, 18, who had faced a prior charge for her attempted murder.
- 5 April 2014: Sandra Boakes, 70, was found with head injuries and died two days later in hospital. Her husband Dudley Boakes, initially charged with attempted murder, was charged with her murder.
- 6 April 2014: Yvette Hallsworth, 36 was raped and stabbed to death by Mateusz Kosecki,18.
- 9 April 2014: Isabelle Sanders, 51, was stabbed to death. Paul McManus has been charged with her murder and attempted murder of her partner.
- 11 April 2014: Judith Nibbs, 60, was decapitated. Her estranged husband, Dempsey Nibbs has been charged with her murder.
- 11 April 2014: Edna Fisher, 74, was smothered by her husband Kenneth Fisher, who then killed himself by taking an overdose of her medication.
- 14 April 2014: Pauline Butler, 61, was stabbed was stabbed and slashed to death by her ex-partner John Butler.
- 15 April 2014: Angela Smeaton, 50, was stabbed and beaten to death by her husband Paul Smart, 49.
- 18 April 2014: Doreen Webb, 64, was stabbed. Her husband Leonard Webb, 68 was charged with her murder.
- 18 April 2014: Elaine Duncan, 46, was found dead. James Morley, has been charged with her murder.
- 20 April 2014: Majella Lynch, 51, died of septicaemia two days after being taken to hospital after suffering a sexual assault.
- 21 April 2014: Malgorzata Dantes, 54, and her husband Leszek were stabbed to death. Their son Kamil Dantes has been charged with their murders.
- 28 April 2014: Ann Maguire, 61, was killed through multiple stab wounds. A 15-year old boy has been charged with her murder.
- 29 April 2014: Carol Dyson, 53, was asphyxiated. Her husband Mark Dyson has been charged with her murder.
- 29 April 2014: Susan Ashworth, 47, was found dead after a fire in her home which is believed to have been started deliberately by her husband Martin Ashworth.
- 3 May 2014: Natsnet Tekle Nahisi, 20, died from injuries sustained in an assault. Dawit Khasay, 19, was charged but later died in prison.
- 3 May 2014: Angela Ward, 27, was stabbed to death by her partner Ian Meakin, 49.
- 5 May 2014: Jessica Watkins, 21, was stabbed 27 times by her boyfriend Kristofer Mitchell, 28, as she was in the bath.
- 9 May 2014: Tamara Holboll, 67, was found dead with multiple stab wounds following a fire at her home. Her son, Peter Holboll, 44, has been charged with her murder.
- 10 May 2014: Hayley Stringer, 29, was stabbed to death by her ex-husband David Stringer, who then killed himself.
- 18 May 2014: Emma Siswick, 37, was stabbed to death by her boyfriend Jonathon Sutton 39. He stabbed her 81 times
- 19 May 2014: Eileen Glassford, 60, was pushed in to a river by Paul Connolly,49.
- 20 May 2014: Beatrice Bennett, 75, was hit on the head several times with a dumbbell and had her throat slit by her husband John Colin Bennett. He was detained under the Mental Health Act.
- 24 May 2014: Wendy Ambrose, 77, was shot dead by her husband Harold Ambrose,82, who then shot himself.
- 26 May 2014: Mary Craig, 43, died after being struck with a knife or similar. Her partner, Christopher Shone, has been charged with her murder.
- 26 May 2014: Dorothy Beattie, 51 was strangled by Christopher Kelly, 40.
- 27 May 2014: Tahira Ahmed, 38, was stabbed and decapitated. Both her arms were broken. Her husband Naveed Ahmed, 41, has been charged with her murder.
- 30 May 2014: Helen Dillon, 42, was stabbed to death in Neasdon, London. Justice Cruickshank, 54 has been charged with her murder.
- 31 May 2014: The body of Rui Li, 44, was found in the boot of a car, Her husband, Pierre Legris, 60, has been charged with her murder. She died of blunt force trauma to the head.
- 31 May 2014: Barbara Hobbis, 79, was strangled by her 58-year-old son, Geoffrey Hobbis.
- 3 June 2014: Yvonne Fox, 87, was killed by blunt force trauma to the head. Her son, Paul Fox, has been charged with her murder.
- 4 June 2014: Margaret Evans, 69, was beaten to death. Her son, Alun Evan, 32, has been detained under the mental health act.
- 8 June 2014: Rebecca Bamber, 42, died after being taken to hospital with serious injuries after being assaulted. David Hoyle, 38, has been charged with her murder.
- 10 June 2014: Madina Landsberg, 31, was found dead. She had been beaten and strangled. Her ex-husband Dexter Landsberg has been charged with her murder.
- 11 June 2014: Francine Clark, 70, was found dead. Her husband, 86-year-old Neil Clark has been charged with her murder.
- 14 June 2014: Jane Bartholomew, 39, was found dead at home after police responded to calls raising concerns for her welfare. She had been killed by significant head injuries. Scott Ellis, 42, was found with injuries to his wrists and subsequently charged with Jane’s murder.
- 15 June 2014: Denise Dunlop, 32, was stabbed to death. Her partner Richard McAuley, 42, has been charged with her murder.
- 17 June 2014: Nahid Al Manea, 31, was stabbed 16 times and had injuries consistent with being struck in the face or head. 15-year-old James Fairweather admitted her murder and that on a man in an otherwise unrelated case.
- 17 June 2014: Mingzi Yang, 29, was found dead at home. 33-year-old Wai Hong Tsang has been charged with her murder.
- 18 June 2014: Una Dorney, 87, was found dead in the care home in which she lived. Her grandson, Ryan Guest, 33, has been charged with her murder.
- 20 June 2014: Janet Mann, 77, was stabbed to death by her 78 year-old husband Anthony Man. He received a 2-year suspended sentence.
- 25 June 2014: Sheila Crout, 65, was found dead. Her husband John Crout, 63, has been charged with her murder.
- 29 June 2014: Luan Leigh, 42, was strangled to death. Her daughter, 9, was treated for strangulation injuries and her son, 15, survived being stabbed in the chest. Her husband, their father, Andrew Leigh, 42, was charged with murder and attempted murder.
- 29 June 2014: Cynthia Beamond, 80, was found dead with head injuries. Leo Barnes, 32, has been charged with her murder.
- 2 July 2014: Sally Campion, 45, was found with serious head injuries and later died in hospital. Matthew Keough, 44, has been charged with her murder.
- 5 July 20147: Jennie Bryant, 89, died of blunt force trauma to the head after being assaulted by a co-resident at a nursing home. Brian Mood was initially detained under the Mental Health Act and later charg3ed with manslaughter. He died in hospital in 2015 before going to trial.
- 7 July 2014: Quoi Chang, 50, and her husband Pin Chang, 58, were both stabbed to death in their home. Their 23-year-old son, Carl Chang has been charged with their murders.
- 9 July 2014: Sharon Wall, 53, was stabbed at the mental health unit in which she worked. Ryan Mathews, 61, has been charged with her murder.
- 12 July 2014: Sharon Winters, 39, was stabbed to death through multiple upper body injuries. Kevin Hawkes, 33, has been charged with her murder.
- 13 July 2014: Helen Dawson, 48, and Ivor Spratek, 40, were found dead. Austin Brayford, 37, has been charged with their murders.
- 17 July 2014: Susan Lancaster, 67, was found dead at home after a call to the police from her husband Roy Lancaster, 54, saying that her had killed her. He was later found dead.
- 17 July 2014: Michaela Heaton, 38, was found with head injuries. She was taken to hospital but pronounced dead shortly afterwards. Kevin Whyment, 53, has been charged with her murder.
- 18 July 2014: Bei Carter, 49,was stabbed and died from a single wound to the chest. John Heald, 53, has been charged with her murder.
- 20 July 2014: Nonita Karajavait, 24, was seen being pushed into on-coming traffic by her partner Tadas Zalwskas, 26. They both died. Police are treating her death as suspicious.
- 22 July 2014: Tia Kounota was found in a burnt out car. Damien Dionbewei, 34, has been charged with her murder.
- 29 July 2014: Eleanor Whitelaw, 85, died two weeks after being attacked in her home. Robert Buczek, 24, who had been charged with attempted murder and assault to severe injury and danger of life was charged with her murder.
- 2 August 2014: Carol Bland, 62, was found dead with multiple stab wounds by police after a friend had called them. Her 62 year old husband was found with serious knife wounds to his neck and was charged with her murder.
- 10 August 2014, Anayat Bibi, 39 was found dead with multiple stab wounds. A 42-year-old man of the same address, Mazhar Nawab, has been charged with her murder.
- 11 August 2014: Elizabeth Knott, 70, was shot dead by her husband John Knott, 71, who also shot himself.
- 17 August 2014: Sandra Talman, 62, was found dead. A post mortem discovered she had been killed through compression to the neck. Her husband, Nigel Talman, 60, has been charged with her murder.
- 19 August 2014: Elaine Flanagan, 57, was found dead. Her 57-year-old husband, Thomas Flanagan, has been charged with her murder.
- 21 August 2014: Shana Cover, 34, was found dead after what has been described by police as a ‘sustained attack’. Her estranged husband, Owen Williams, 50, was charged with her murder.
- 23 August 2014: Rukshana Miah, 35, died in hospital six days after being attacked by her husband Abdul Miah, 36, He had initially been charged with attempted murder.
- 26 August 2014: The body of Lynn Howarth, 43, was found, she had been dead several weeks. Steven Dunks, 45, has been charged her murder
- 28 August 2014: Alice Gross,14, went missing. Her body was found on 31st Convicted murderer Arnis Zalkalns was later found dead, police are not looking for anyone else in relation to her murder.
- 2 September, 2014: Meryl Parry, 81, was found dead. Her 80-year-old husband, John Parry was charged with her murder.
- 3 September 2014: Leighann Duffy, 26, died in hospital 3 days after being stabbed in her home. Lloyd Byfield, 48, has been charged with her murder.
- 3 September 2014: Pennie Davis, 47, was found dead by her husband in the field where she tended her horses, she had been stabbed. Justin Robertson, 36, has been charged with her murder.
- 3 September 2014: Glynis Bensley, 48, died of head injuries after allegedly being pursued by two masked men on bikes. Zoheb Majib & a 13 year old male have been charged with her murder.
- 4 September 2014: Palmira Silva, 82, was beheaded in north London. Nicolas Salvador 25 was charged with her murder.
- 13 September 2014: Serena Hickey was murdered by her partner Darren Ellis, 35. He later killed himself.
- 14 September 2014: Karen Catherall, 45, was found dead. Darren Jeffreys, 47, has been charged with her murder.
- 15 September 2014: Hannah Witheridge,23, was raped and killed alongside her friend David Miller whilst traveling in Thailand.
- 15 September 2014: Rosemary Broadwell, 76, was last seen alive. From Hull, living in Spain, her body was found in March 2015. Her partner Charlie Bevill-Warcup allegedly confessed to and has been charged with her murder.
- 19 September 2014: Dorothy Brown, 66, and her husband Paul Brown, 73 were stabbed to death. Their son Timothy Brown, 46, has been charged with their murders.
- 19 September 2014: Nicola McKenzie, 37, was killed by a head injury. Oral David Bryan, 43, has been charged with her murder.
- 22 September 2014: Davinia Loynton, 59, was found dead. Kevin Hyden, 34, has been charged with her murder but additional charges may be brought against others.
- 28 September 2014: Lorna McCarthy, 50, was killed by stab wounds to the heart. Barry McCarthy, 50, has been charged with her murder.
- 30 September 2014: Catherine McDonald, 57, was found dead. She had been stabbed and asphyxiated. Her 27-year-old son, Alex McDonald, has been charged with her murder.
- 6 Oct 2014: Mariama Njie-Jallow, 37and her husband Mbye Jallow, 56, were found dead after a house fire. Mariama had been stabbed and was dead before the fire started. Police are not looking for anyone else.
- 11 Oct 2014: Maria Mayes, 67, was stabbed to death. Her son, Stuart Mayes, has been charged with her murder.
- 16 Oct 2014: Melissa Mathieson, 18, died in hospital of injuries she had sustained four days earlier. James Conroy, 18, has been charged with her murder.
- 18 October 2014: Donna Eastwood, 26, was found dead inside a burning car. Joshua Cairns, 26, has been charged with her murder.
- 20 October 2014: Raheela Imran, 45, was killed through a “wound to the neck”. Her husband Imran Sharif, 44, has been charged with her murder.
- 27 October 2014: Daksha Lad, 44, was found stabbed to death along with her two daughters. Her husband, their killer, Jitendra Lad, 49, hanged himself.
- 27 October 2014: Trisha Lad, 19,was found stabbed to death along with her mother and sister. Her father, their killer, Jitendra Lad, 49, hanged himself.
- 27 October 2014: Nisha Lad, 16,was found stabbed to death along with her mother and sister. Her father, their killer, Jitendra Lad, 49, hanged himself.
- 31 October 2014: Magdalena Welna, 23 was stabbed to death. Victor Banjo Ogundunmade, 27, who was found dead, is believed to have killed her.
- 1 November 2014: Leeann Foley, 32, was shot dead. Richard Conroy, 38, has been charged with her murder.
- 1 November 2014: Ann Cluysenaar (Jackson), 78, was found dead. Her stepson, Timothy Jackson, has been charged with her murder.
- 2 November 2014: Clare Munro, 47, was found dead. Her husband, Andrew Munro. 50, has been charged with her murder.
- 2 November 2014: Margaret Tate, 63, was found dead. Michael Tate, 72, of the same address, has been charged with her murder.
- 3 November 2014: Mary Tear, 88, was found dead alongside her husband Arthur Tear, both died of “incised wounds to the wrists”. Police are not looking for anyone else.
- 5 November 2014: Cerys Yemm, 22, was attacked and killed by Mathew Williams. She died of head injuries, it has been reported that he had eaten half of her face and one of her eyeballs when police arrived.
- 9 November 2014: Eni Mevish, 20, was stabbed to death. Davis Marshall, 68 has been charged with her murder.
- 13 November 2014: Deborah Ruse was killed by her husband Oliver Ruse.
- 13 November 2014: Nicola Langtree, 44, was strangled by her husband Mark Langtree, 48.
- 18 November 2014: Valerie Davison, 59, was found dead. A 38-year-old man was arrested and has been detained in a secure hospital.
- 19 November 2014: Lydia Pascale, 26 was last seen alive. Her disappearance is being treated as a murder inquiry. Matthew Cherrington, 32, has been charged with her murder.
- 27 November 2014: Gillian Kettyle, 54 and her husband, 55, were stabbed to death. Viktoras Bruzas, 38, said to be known to them has been charged with their murders.
- Brenda Davidson, 72, had not been seen since November when her partner Nigel Jackson was arrested after her body was found under concrete at their home in Portugal in January 2015. They were from Kent.
- 2 December 2014: Sannah Javed, 26, died after being taken to hospital with serious injuries. Abu Hussain, 37, was charged with her murder.
- 2 December 2014: Edith Gravener, 79, was strangled by her husband Ronald Gravener,78. Who then killed himself.
- 4 December 2014: Andrea Carr, 23, was found dead. A 30-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder and held under under the Mental Health Act.
- 5 December 2014: Luciana Maurer, 23 was found dead. Steven Raymond Mathieson, 38, was charged with her murder and the rape of two other women.
- 5 December 2014: Yvonne Tapp, 58, was found dead at the home of Keith Solly, 625, who was charged with her murder.
- 12 December 2014: Carol Ruddy, 54, and her husband Eric, 64, were found with serious injuries at their home. Their son Martin Ruddy, 28, was charged with their murders.
- 19 December 2014: Alison Morrison, 45, was stabbed to death. Her neighbour, Trevor Gibson, 48, has been charged with her murder.
- 19 December 2014, Michelle Grey, 42, was found dead in her home. Carl Anderson, 41, has been charged with her murder.
- 22 December 2014 was the last day that Carol-Anne Taggart was seen alive. Her body was discovered on 12 January 2015. Her son Ross Taggart, 30, has been charged with her murder.
- 24 December 2014: Julie Mercer, 47, was found dead. Police said her unexplained death was being treated as a murder inquiry. A 45-year-old man was arrested and bailed.
- 24 December 2014: Sameen Imam, 34, was last seen alive. Two men, aged 34 and 40, were arrested on suspicion of her murder in January 2015.
- 24 December 2014: Julia Tshabalala, 30, was strangled by her husband Jan Tshabalala, 33, who then hanged himself.
- 27 December 2014: A 40-year-old woman whose name has not yet been released was found dead. Abdulqadir Abdullah, 34, has been charged with murder.
- 31 December 2014: Sandra Brotherton, 60, was found stabbed to death. Her 29 year-old son was arrested on suspicion of murder and detained under the mental health act.
- 31 December 2014: Nadine Aburas, 28, was found dead. Police would like to trace Sammy Almahri, 44 , who is believed to have left the country.
Last updated 24 July 2017.
In addition, I am awaiting further information following the death of a Carolann Gallagher in a fire in Kilwinning, Geraldine Sapara, Charlene Lever, Sarah Munro and a 39-year-old women reportedly killed by a 53-year-old man in Audenshaw, Gtr Manchester on 2nd December.
Note: the photos above are of the women killed this year. Where I have not been able to find a photo, they have been represented by a silhouette.
Thank you so much for this.
I am a survivor of domestic abuse.
I could have been a name on this list in 2014 if it weren’t for the last minute courage I found to finally walk through the door I had tried to leave so many times. I am lucky, I know, that I survived.
I want to send so much love to all of the families of all of these amazing women who endured so much.
Words just aren’t enough.
Thank you Sophie x
Pingback: Is Male Friendship A Casualty Of The Sexual Revolution? | Christian Conservative Daily
Pingback: The War Against Women and Girls in the UK - Deep Green Resistance UK
Pingback: Criminal Law to the Rescue? ‘Wolf-Whistling’ as Hate Crime | University of Bristol Law School Blog
2nd July 2014 Sally Campion 45, Mathew Keough pleaded guilty to murder and has been sentenced to life in prison (yesterday). He had a history of violence towards women.
Thank you Ruth.
Pingback: PODCAST: Counting dead women & the Femicide Census » Feminist Current
I’m a graduate student at Brigham Young University currently conducting research for a professor on international violence against women.
I stumbled upon your project today and was wondering if you have published any reports or will be publishing any reports in the near future.
Thank you for your important work- these women deserve to named and remembered.
There’s just what’s here.
Pingback: Ekki tóm tölfræði: Karlar sem myrða konur | Knúz - femínískt vefrit
Pingback: A ‘light-hearted look at who killed Lucy Beale’ | Everyday Victim Blaming
Pingback: The Femicide Census | Portia Smart
Thank you Karen… Total respect coming your way … and love sister… xx
unfortunately death number 132 is my beautiful sister,
I’m so very sorry, Alicia.
Karen, your work is invaluable! I am Spanish and domestic violence is something that it is talked on the media. However, I lived in the UK and I could not believe how mainstream media ignored these killings!
Thank you Maria
Hi Karen. In Lewisham we are doing an exhibition of women’s shoes linked to the women killed this year to mark 25 November. We have copied the picture at the top of this post and referenced your campaign. Hope this is OK. Roz on behalf of WAVES Lewisham.
Yes, of course.
Can you send me info about your exhibition please?
I’d like to visit.
Sure – we are doing it as a one off on Sat 29th November at Deptford Lounge just off Deptford High St. If you were there that day we’d like you to talk in our afternoon slot in the library. We may be doing it in Lewisham Town Hall as part of the White Ribbon Day stuff that LBL are organising on 25 November in the afternoon. We are trying to focus the council’s White Ribbon stuff as more the concrete steps that men need to take to address VAWG in their own spheres of influence. We are ‘crowdsourcing’ the shoes so they will be old and not all red. I am hoping that we may be able too take the display elsewhere after these two (including any ideas you have). It was Heather Harvey’s idea. Roz (07957 233386 if you want to talk).
Damn! Seems I am destined to keep missing your events but I’m not in London that weekend. But let me know when and where other dates are planned, in principle, really happy to come along and talk.
What are the silhouettes.
Thank you for this work Karen.
They’re for women for whom I haven’t been able to find a photo.
Pingback: Remember My Name | ... love hurts?
Pingback: » Women and Children Murdered – and The Male Voice is HeardMairiVoice
Susan Ashworth, 29 April 2014, died in a house fire started by her husband:
Thank you for telling me. I’ll add Susan as soon as I can.
It saddens me that so many women have been killed since the beginning of the year.
It shocks me that there is no official source available.
It sickens me to see the responses of some men on here. Why are they not horrified by these statistics?
Thank you for doing this Karen. Its such important work.
What you are doing is really valuable. This list has helped me understand the world better than any statistic or news report ever did.
This is an incredible list. Can I ask where you get the information? Do you simply scour the news or is there and official source for this?
I scour the news, precisely because there isn’t an official source.
It seems to me that if you want to make a comparison which has some relevance, then instead of asking how many men have been killed in the same period, the correct question would be how many men have been killed *by women* in the same period? I sometimes think that people don’t ask that question because it’s so rare as to hardly be on the public radar as a thing.
Pingback: Picking your battles | Opinionated Ms Me
Pingback: How TERF works | Feminist Current
Pingback: Domestic violence: coalition has ‘turned its back’ on victims | My Blog
Pingback: How TERF works | Sarah Ditum
Medina Landsberg – June 2014
Thank you very much.
Such an important piece of work, thank you for giving these women a name and a value – too many lives lost x
Looking at the statistics, the male on male murder rate runs approximately 3 times higher than male on female murder. That is 3 men are murdered for every woman.
Your list doesn’t even differentiate murders where gender isn’t the reason for the murder either. Deeply worrying.
You keep worrying about that Alex, I’ll keep worrying about male violence against women.
You can’t do that unless you look at the whole problem surely.its not simply that men are violent.to say that is to apportion blame but to not look at the causes which must be as much societal, if not moreso, than it is about violent men, no?
Of course the answers are societal. That that is my position couldn’t be much clearer.
Pingback: Who pays the price? | Rebel Yarns
The Womens Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Center in Bodmin were made aware of your blog and today (International Women’s Day) all of the victims of 2014 were commemorated and their names read aloud in Truro with a megaphone so that everyone could hear their names. We were only able to do this with the list provided in this blog and so on behalf of those of us that were inspired by your blog thank you so much for Counting Dead Women so that these women are not forgotten and the circumstances in which they died not brushed under the carpet and ignored. We had one woman for every victim so that the public could take in what 23 women that aren’t here would look like.
Thank you so much for doing that and for letting me know. It means a lot to me. If you have a photo, I’d love to see it.
3rd March Patricia Anne Durrant, 65. A 59 yr old man has been arrested.
Pingback: If you tolerate this, then you’re children will be next… | Heckling Laura
Bless you Karen for doing this.
How can the police, and public, continue to believe that murder of women on this scale is not connected? We have to stop calling murder of women by men they know as ‘isolated incidents’. I would prefer police to say ‘part of a social pattern of violence in which another man has killed a woman he knows’. This lets everyone know that there is an epidemic out there, and that it targets familiar relationships, but that we can’t pin point who is next. At least then other men might ask what the ‘warning signs’ are. I mean we all know about suspicious packages left on trains, or signs someone might have meningitis. Why not recognise the triggers for men about to kill their wives, girlfriends, ex-partners etc?